This content was created in collaboration with paid ION* partner, FoodbyMaria. By purchasing ION* products through links on her website she may earn a small commission at no cost to you.
This summer, we’re teaming up with Maria, CEO of FoodbyMaria, to explore delicious and nourishing gut-healthy recipes to inspire your palette. Over the years, Maria has educated readers and inspired eaters to embrace vibrant, wholesome foods into their daily life.
This Thai noodle soup recipe is bursting with delicious flavors, but it’s also great for your gut health too! This recipe is comforting and can be made in under 45 minutes.
Why you’ll love this Thai noodle soup:
- Comforting: This Thai noodle soup is the ultimate comfort food that is loaded with dynamic flavors.
- Easy: Make this noodle soup in only 40 minutes. That’s it!
- Gut-Healthy: This noodle soup is good for your gut due to the benefits from the special ingredients like lemongrass and ginger.
Lemongrass: Lemongrass not only smells and tastes great, but it also has some added benefits that support your digestive tract. It’s been known to help treat things such as the common stomachache, to digestive tract spasms, and can be used to kill germs.
Ginger: Ginger has always been known as a natural ingredient that helps with so many ailments. For starters, it helps with the gastrointestinal motility which is the rate that food exits the stomach and continues along the digestive process. Eating ginger encourages efficient digestion so food doesn’t sit and linger too long in your gut.
Other ways Maria supports her gut health
Outside of using gut-healthy ingredients like ginger and lemongrass in her cooking, Maria also loves to take ION* Gut Support as part of her daily wellness routine. ION* seals cells in the gut lining, helping to keep toxins out of your body and strengthening the terrain upon which your microbiome can diversify. In turn, this helps with things like immune function, digestion, and nutrient absorption.
On a daily basis, we’re exposed to more than 80,000 chemicals and toxic substances. ION* Gut Support can help strengthen the integrity of the gut lining, defending from toxins while boosting immune function. Easy-to-take and all-natural, this liquid wellness supplement is a simply way to ensure your gut is supported at the foundation.
On top of incorporating ION* into her daily routine, some other ways Maria supports her gut health are by:
- Eating lots of veggies, legumes, beans, and fruit
- Eating fermented foods (like yogurt, tempeh, and miso)
- Eating prebiotic foods (like onions, bananas, and garlic)
- Adding whole grains into her diet
- Having a plant-forward diet
How to make Maria’s Thai noodle soup:
- To a large soup pot add 2 tbsp oil, heat to medium high and add yellow onion, ginger, and minced garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in curry paste, turmeric, and vegetable stock paste and cook and stir for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in zucchini, red pepper, and lemongrass and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add in coconut milk, water, fish sauce, chickpeas, and tamari. Bring to a boil and then turn to medium-low and simmer, 10-15 minutes, until peppers and zucchini are softened.
- While the soup is simmering, cook your noodles to al dente and set aside.
- To finish the soup, remove the lemongrass stalks and add salt and lime juice, taste and adjust seasoning further if needed.
- Divide the noodles among the bowls and pour soup over, garnish with fresh basil and chopped green onions.
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 tbsp red curry paste
1/2 tbsp dried turmeric
1 tbsp vegetable stock paste
1 small zucchini, chopped in half moons
1 yellow or red pepper, sliced thin
2 lemongrass stalks, hard outer layer removed, top and bottom of the stalks trimmed and then cut into thirds
1 can coconut milk
4 cups water
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 cup canned chickpeas
2 tbsp tamari
150-200g rice noodles, cooked
Juice from one lime
1 tsp salt
Chopped green onion for garnish
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
Maria Koutsogiannis | Calgary, AB
Maria’s fierce honesty and stripped-back approach to sharing her journey to self-love through overcoming an eating disorder has amassed a global following. By seeking a healthy relationship with food Maria has become an industry leader. Over the last 5 years as CEO of FoodByMaria, Maria has educated readers and inspired eaters to embrace vibrant, wholesome foods into their daily life. Her straightforward recipes are thoughtful, healthy and nourishing while satisfying all cravings for classic comfort food and sweet indulgences.